Finally, our favorite recipe! I found this online and altered it to fit what I had available on hand. I was skeptical, after just recently trying two recipes from Bed & Breakfasts that we only thought were so so… the best part being what we added into them. But these stand alone! Light and fluffy with slightly crisped edges and a perfect amount of sweetness.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- (1/2 cup of your desired add-in ex: chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6oz plain or favorite flavor yogurt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- a few teaspoons of sugar to sprinkle over top if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl (use whisk if you don’t have a sifter). Grate chilled butter using a cheese grater and use your fingers until mixture is in pea sized lumps. Stir in the add-in of your choice, or skip this.
- Gently whisk together 1/2 cup milk and yogurt in a measuring cup. Pour all at once into the dry ingredients, and stir gently until well blended, and all dry ingredients are incorporated, but don’t over mix!
- With floured hands, or a scoop, place balls of dough on lightly greased sheet, flatten slightly. Brush the tops of the scones with the tbsp milk wash, and sprinkle with sugar if desired. Let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are golden brown, not deep brown.
I didn’t add anything into ours this time, but the yogurt I used had strawberry on the bottom, which gave them a very slight hint of flavor. Obviously most of the batch was downed before I could get the picture:o).